Click Here for Cutting Edge Fitness

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Just Some Practice - 1/7/09

Not a whole lot since the last post. I'm getting ready to leave town for a week, so I've been busy running around and not had much time to train. I have been able to "grease the groove" (GTG) with the pistol and 1 arm push up. The Naked Warrior is a great read to help with these moves and creating total body tension in general. I've always known it's how you do stuff that counts but this book really highlights the correct way to go about strength moves and getting the most out of them. The two body weight moves are focused on in the book but the info can be applied to any high-tension move. I'd definitely recommend adding it to your collection.

The other thing I've been up to is trying to figure out what is going on with my left elbow/forearm. It feels like tendinitis that jumps from the medial to lateral side of my elbow. I've tried extension work, ART work, sports massage....etc. They all relieve it a little but then it's right back to tight. It gives me the most trouble when I make a fist and extend my elbow, funny thing is a bent press makes it feel better. I don't know. A cool post I read on the DD forum talked about negatives with heavy rev. curls to help out. Not sure how it works in depth but I guess the gist is an eccentric contraction creates more tension...which rips more muscle...which puts the body into a "heal itself quicker mode". Like I said not sure on the specifics but I've tried a few sets(65LBSx5) and although it hurts when I do it feels like it's loser when I'm done. Even if it's placebo effect because I'm expecting it, I'll take it. I'll continue just a few sets spread throughout the day and see what happens.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Same elbow stuff here.I noticed it got worse with more OH pressing i did.I watched Pavel's DVD "Resilient" and he hit on something that might be the case.He spoke about weak supinator/pronators around the elbow; indicating weak forearms(your not weak--maybe overtrained from deads,bending & pressing combined??) In the context that he explained, the pain is a result of not being ready for KB OH or just overdoing it.
With all your bending, deads, etc...your forearms are prob beat and just need some time away and/or just focus on low(er) volume bent press,(since it is more lats and less of an elbow ext exercise, maybe tgu's also). 1 arm pushups and the wide grip curls helped me some too; low volume was the biggest help---good luck!

Carl Sipes said...

Yeah, I think this vacation is coming at the perfect time...just some GTG with the 1 arm push and pistols. I just finished reading Naked Warrior and am trying to include all the techniques covered...WOW, it makes these two cals very demanding. Cool stuff! When I get back the first point of order is to figure out the hotel for CK-FMS, I'll keep you posted.