Click Here for Cutting Edge Fitness

Friday, September 26, 2008

Last Wave Of The Cycle - 9/25/08

3 more sessions after this one and the 16 session cycle will be complete. A max effort test and a few days rest will follow.

-Front Squat
32/36KGx5
32/32KGx5

-KB Press
30KGx5/5
28KGx5/5
The right shoulder feels a ton better with the pressing motion than it did at the beginning of the cycle. Very stable. I'll get some video of the max effort at the end.

-Pull Up
20LBSx3
18LBSx3 2sets

-TGU 24KGx1/1 for 10 min
I went away from the ballistics and decided to grind a bit more today. The 10 min bout was still some pretty good conditioning work, which is what I was after. I got in 10 reps per side and had about 15 sec left so quick early...after the beep went off I felt guilty and did one more on my right side for a total of 21:)

-Bending
Very low volume tonight.
1/4"x7" square CRS closed
5/16"x7" Bastard to 4 1/4"
This is starting to annoy me. It seems like no matter what the bar is, if it is tough at all it gets stuck right around 4 1/4". I just seem to run out of steam at that spot every time. When I started the crushdown was my strongest part. If I could kink it I could close it. Now the steel has gotten bigger and harder and the crushdown is my weakest part. I kinda picked up the pace with the bending of late because it was feeling so good. For now I think the plan will be to take a week or so away from bending and come back at it fresh and ready to put a hurtin' on some steel.

2 comments:

Zach Coulter said...

Remember those isos I said I never really liked? Now is the time to use them. Finish the crush on any unfinished bastards you may have, and you'll never get stuck there with a bastard/RED again. I have the exact same sticking point. If I get stuck, it's at 100 degrees(just past 90) or 3 3/4" to 4 3/8". I've bent enough stock to have narrowed it down that far, yes:D Get yourself some 5/16 DR, Fastenal usually has it on hand for about $4 for 3ft. Cut a 7.5" piece and have at it, if you finish it and feel good, go for a 7 1/4" piece. The 7 1/4" will feel very much like a 515 7" Bastard but springier and you'll have more leverage. That kind of training is GREAT for your crushdown.

Carl Sipes said...

Thanks for the advice Zach! I've actually got 5/16 DR in the basement. I tried something like that with the 5/16 304 SS that I have. I closed an 8" piece and have a 7 1/2" piece stuck right around 4 1/4. I guess it's just time to dig in and turn a weakness into a strength.