Click Here for Cutting Edge Fitness

Monday, August 11, 2008

Variety Day - 8/11/08

I switched my days around just a bit. I think it will fit into my work schedule better this way.

-Pistol 12KGx3/3 5sets
Used this a bit of a warm up today. I have never really worked on pistol and would like to be a little better at them. I will start with a nice low volume like this and work into it. Even with the low volume I still think my legs got some good work in. I set up on an 18" box and will progressively go lower.

-Bending
Great night tonight. This was another reason for the switch in days. I am going to do a little lower body work for a warm and save my grip for the bends. Had a volume day and got in some VOLUME! Here's how it went.
All 7" long.
2 - 17/64" DR
10 - 5/16" HRS(SteelWorks brand)
1 - 1/4" square CRS
Hands are a little sore but that's to be expected. I put the square in at the end because I have never closed one and wanted to see how it went. All the bends were done in less than a min, most of them in 30-45 sec.

Back to some ladders tomorrow.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A thought i had the other day...it looks like your bending is pretty intense..question - is it too much to do alot of bending and ladder work ?

it seems like i am always spouting off my thoughts and opinions but I know how tough it is to get through ladders...the thought of adding something else with that high of intensity seems draining to me...you would know better than me, maybe they compliment each other?? good job on the pistol practice!! later

Carl Sipes said...

It's definitely a good thought. They do compliment each other(grip strength and total body tension) to a point. That is part of the reason I am shifting my days around so much. Trying to find a good combination. In all reality I may need to go down to 2 ladder days/week to cut the volume and allow for a bit more rest because the bending does take so much out of you. It's just so damn fun! I also may try your idea of pressing w/o the cleans. This would end up leading to a grind day and a separate ballistic day. I don't know, I'll find a good mix sooner or later. Keep on plugging I guess. Thanks for the input!

Anonymous said...

i had another thought...forgot to mention.

i used to do OH press with KB while sitting on the ground...i would use a weight that was very manageable while standing --- but seated on the ground (not a bench!!) made that wt get much more difficult...maybe something to do with the 32 kg to help push up the 40 kg work??? try it -- takes the lower out and puts all the tension in abs/ upper!! great exercise, later alan

Carl Sipes said...

I've done that before and forgot about it. If I remember it is a killer and demands some hip and hamstring flexability. Thanks for the idea!