Click Here for Cutting Edge Fitness

Monday, July 7, 2008

Mon 7/7/08

Back at it after a long weekend in California. Fun time, but way to much good eating and good drinking. So now it's time for a good training session. I decided to do a shorter series of the snatch vo2max(15:15) and think I will add a few of these in during the week and see how it goes.

-Snatch vo2max(15:15) 16KGx8 30sets
Nice...quick...easy. Felt good to move and make the lungs work.

-Bending
60D common
Grade 2 hex cap
6-Yellow nails
I cut my wraps down from 12" to 8". This made it a little tougher, but I think I just have a harder time with the yellow nails than the blue ones. This is kinda weird but I think it's a flexibility/form issue. It'll get better, just gotta keep pushin' on the steel.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

glad to hear that you had a good break!!! i like your way of breaking down the 15;15 into shorter sessions...i am doing the same sort of thing - a shorter session(30-40 sets max) on my strength day; and then a moderate/ heavy day on its own specific day...shooting for 40 plus on these days - ultimately aimimg for the big 80 sets!!! good stuff later, alan

bencrush said...

I saw in your last workout report that you experimented with the Ironmind pads, which is very good. That'll definitely help you in the long run when you switch back to the thicker leather.

I've done a good deal of cut Reds (a few that were 5" long) with the Ironmind pads and they require a different technique than I usually use. Normally, when using thick leather, I do a lot more pushing into the sides of the bar than "levering" it with my wrist strength.

The Ironmind pads, at least for me, require that I put a lot more levering effort from the wrists into play to get the bar started. Once the bar gets started you'll most likely still be held back a little on what you can get through the sweep and crushdown stages of the bend due to the hand pain. You'll get used to that relatively quickly though.

If you're interested in certifying on the Red Nail with Ironmind I'd recommend including more and more of the Ironmind pad training into your regimen.

To help you on your way to becoming an elite bender I'll also recommend something that might seem counterintuitive. Alternate your bending sessions with thick leather (at least 1.25-1.5" diameter when wrapped around a 1/4"-5/16" bar) and the Ironmind pads.

The thick leather pads will help you build up super strength to handle any bends you can even fathom in the Ironmind pads. So that'll be your strength day. The Ironmind pads day will be more of a technique day because you'll be a lot more focused on perfecting your technique. Don't get me wrong, you'll still be trying to bend the hardest steel possible when you use the Ironmind pads but you want to build up the highest strength base possible in the process.

Carl Sipes said...

Thanks for the help fellas.